Because

Seems like you left something out Perry, why were you unable to
ride the bike? The rear while wouldn't turn? The clutch wouldn't
disengage?

    Inquiring minds want to know!

Well if you need to know here it goes , so here I am riding through the
twisties with only 4th and 5th. Now add to the fact that I now have oil
leaking out of the left case, I did ride her about 50 miles to get to a good
stop point. Riding the hill country with two gears oil leaking and not
knowing if the tranny would lock up at any second can really raise the
pucker factor . Now your thinking why is there oil coming out of the case .
Well the screw that backed out of its proper place resides in a hole that is
threaded all the way through the case under the left side sprocket cover.
Thus  when running  more than just a drop of oil is expelled.  When stopped
on the side stand there was a definite drip/run until the oil settles in the
sump (so we are thinking gee did the case crack or what the F.. er a heck
,,,have to remember this is a family list).  The bottom line is at the time
with all the unknowns,,, discretion was the better part of valor. I didn't
look forward to getting back to town with a oily tire and having to deal
with traffic lights(starting in 4th)  and have a cager run up my kazootie.
Fortunately I have some real good partners! They rode home about 90 miles
got in their truck came all the way back to get me and take me home. They
also helped me all week and I am happy to say I rode the T-Bird to work
today ...yea....we were up till midnight last night putting everything back
together. Safety out weighs inconvenience any time risking the bike or
potential injury to me or anyone riding with me is not a good option
anytime.

Perry