Re: Fuel tank mystery.. Question's

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 23:51:33 -0400, you wrote:

Hello listers,

I was one of the first people to report a fuel leak about 7 weeks ago.
I had my sender replaced and after about 3 tanks of gas I noticed a
puddle of gas under the bike.

Excerpt from original post "Bit of a Jam"
>My bike developed a gas leak yesterday. The gas is dripping at a rate
> of about a drop every couple of minutes or so. It appears to be leaking,
>at what I'm guessing, is the fuel gauge sensor on the bottom of the tank
>near the back. This makes sense as I had mine unnecessarily replaced
>recently. The gas is running down the wires and dripping here and there.

Since then I have been bounced back and forth between Missouri and
Mexico with only two days at home so I have not been able to get the
bike in for service to get a root cause for the leak. I only post to
get my "me too" in for this problem as it seems to be moving from an
isolated case to, maybe, a real safety issue. Statistically I'm sure
we represent a very small percentage but it's worth looking out for.

>Lastly, Matt do you think it's the sealant dissolving or maybe that
>the vendor that Triumph sources the senders from did a batch where
>the sealant wasn't applied correctly?  I'm only guessing here but I
>can't imagine any manufacturer that would be making a unit for this
>type of application not using the correct sealant. I can imagine it
>not being applied correctly, or not curing or even the company that
>makes the sealant screwing up.

This is one possibility with the other being installation issues.
Possibly cracking the epoxy (or whatever the material) seal by
mishandling the wires???

Ken "Super Dawg" Pickett
Apopka, FL
00 ST "Christine"