Re: How to carry a bow

At 01:09 PM 4/22/00 -0400, The Flowers wrote:
>Yes, I'm serious.  Can anyone suggest ways to (safely) carry a compound bow
>on a motorcycle.  Its been years since I used it, but I just found a range
>and would like to get back into archery.  The problem is that the cage may
>not always be available for me.

Bill, I have both a soft and hard case and neither will work on the bike.
The hard case just does a great job of catching the wind and I couldn't
find a way to mount the soft case that would not possible damage the bow in
transit. I tried just "wearing" the bow, but it is very constrictive and
definitely very unsafe. I finally used a couple of nylon pack straps that I
can loop around each limb and then I wear it as a sling. The bow moves
around a little but is fairly transparent to the wind when not in a case. I
have a box for the arrows and just tie it off to the rack.

If you are buying a bow, you may want to consider a take-down recurve. They
have a locking groove arrangement that allows the bow to be pulled apart so
that you are only dealing with half the length.

Just bear in mind that like anything you put on your back, you risk serious
injury should you happen to come off the bike.

Also, for any shooters out there, the top rack makes an ideal platform for
securing ammo boxes. It has been a real hit with our shooting group....

- - Eric