RE: Temerature sensitive....soft rubber

>The rear was constantly getting all squirley on us! I checked the
>settings and the tire pressures and everything was the same as last
>Saturday. The only difference I can find is that it was approx. 10 degrees
>colder today. Can that be the reason for the instability? We had almost no
>instability at all, Saturday.

Very probably,
I have noticed that sort of thing more with softer tyres - the more "sporty"
they are the more they need a concerted effort to warm them up to get a good
grip (the manufacturers assume that a "sports" tyre will be ridden hard).
The more "touring" versions have different carcasses and rubber mixtures
that allow them to reach working temp without the harder work.

I have clearly noticed the difference on a cool day in the Dolomites,
getting stuck behind a bus for 4 or 5 hairpins allows them to cool down, so
the next couple of turns can be interesting. (Both BT56 and Metzler MeZ3)
Tim.