Re: Heavy crosswinds

Patti Beadles wrote:

> Here's the weird thing... although I was leaning into the wind, I
> found myself constantly exerting pressure on the other bar.  Does
> that make sense?  If the wind was coming from the right, the bike
> would be leaned to the right, but I was pressing on the left bar.
>
> This makes no sense to me.  On my other bike, a fully faired EX500,
> I would have been constantly pressing on the right bar if the wind
> was coming from the right.  It wasn't intentional, and I don't think
> it was my brain saying, "want to go straight, must stand bike up" or
> anything silly like that... gusts notwithstanding, it felt like what
> I had to do in order to go in a straight line.

Patti,

This makes perfect sense to me and to Richard!  We've ridden several
times in heavy crosswinds with all three bags on, and we do exactly as
you did.  We've never really questioned it.  It "instinctually"
happened.  It just seems that the wind in trying to push me in a way
that I don't want to go, so I provide a bit of pressure from the
opposite side.  This also helps me when the wind stops coming from that
direction.  Then I am immediately back on the "straight" line, so to
speak.

Lisa & Richard White

End of st-digest V2000 #196