Crosswinds

Hello Fellow ST'ers:
	I was taught to "countersteer" or press down on the handlebar on the
side/direction I want to go. Example: to go right, exert pressure on the right handlebar
(and shift weight to right). On all three Hinckley Triumphs I have owned, I find pressing
on the "other" handlebar to be more effective while shifting my weight against the
direction of the wind. Beats me, but it is more effective.
	For what it's worth, I took some sage advice and changed the preload on my front
and rear shocks to a much stiffer (tighter) setting. I ride solo with factory panniers. The
rear preload comes from the factory at 12 turns "out". I have the rear preload set at 6
turns "out". Rebound damping is 3/4 turn to the stiffer setting. Front forks are screwed
"in" 4 turns. Big (positive) difference in handling. When the rear OEM shock starts to
clap out, it will be an Ohlins or Penske replacement shock. For the forks, RaceTech
cartridge emulators are the way to go.
	I have been riding with the optional Triumph taller touring windscreen during the
Winter months (2,500 miles). This windscreen also contributes significantly to the bike
being "blown" sideways in crosswinds over the stock "shorty" windscreen. I notised a
big difference the moment I changed back to the "shorty". I have a ZeroGravity screen
due this week. Fellow ST rider Erik Miner swears by the "double bubble" model. I
bought the clear version and will tint it in my spray booth to match my sapphire blue
paint. I look forward to the double bubble lifting the windblast over my shoulders and
onto my forehead/top of helmet.
	Lord only knows what the topbox contributes to crosswinds handling. I just don't
need the extra carrying capacity!
Be safe and lucky,
Howard Stephen Serlick
Philadelphia