R/S Questions and 1999 vs. 2000 S/T performance

Anyone notice a difference in engine performance between the  S/T and the
R/S?  The review of the S/T in MOTORCYCLIST asserted that the R/S "lacked the
S/T's hellacious midrange."  Also, the  July 2000 Motorcyclist test profile
showed a DECREASE of nearly 10 HP and 4 ft-lbs of torque from the figures
from the S/T test in '99.  The same article referenced the smaller computer
than the '99 S/T and conjectured as to whether this was the reason.  I am
aware that the 2000 S/T also has a smaller computer with SUPPOSEDLY no change
in performance.  Has anyone noticed a performance difference between the '99
and 2000 S/T?  Wonder if Triumph has snuck in a "cleaner combustion" computer
into their 2000 models to cater to the tough German and California emissions
standards.  We're aware that the Japanese manufacturers have very quietly
top-speed limited their 2000 superbikes.  Is the part number for the S/T
computer in 2000 the same as for the part number for the computer in 99 even
though it is a physically different box?

I'm very interested in a new R/S but I don't want a "wuss" tuned engine.  If
there is a valid performance issue related to the new computer and it's as
simple as replacing it with a '99 part from the S/T, the problem becomes one
of slightly additional cost.

Strangely, the Motorcylclist article also states that the R/S requires more
steering effort/input than the S/T and I simply don't understand this.  It
seems contrary to everything else I've read.  Also, anyone notice stability
problems due to 1/2" narrower rear wheel (but same tire size)?

Thanks for any help on this.

All the best, Fred