Re: Import to BENELUX

Hmm, sounds a bit drastic.  I would suspect that Triumph are making up a lot of the currency shortfall because many bits are imported from the EU in the first place (Sagem fuel injection), or from Japan (suspension etc.).  I would guess that the price of raw materials (alu, steel) has not fallen in-line with the strength of sterling.  Perhaps a less drastic cut than from 30% discount to zero is justifiable.  The market in B, NL, L must still be significant in terms of sales, and total loss of representation could take years to recover from.

The prices are still being subsidised by the over-inflated UK costs; the EU prices are very comparable to the US ones in real terms, so in the inevitable sequence of events is:
1. cut discounts for currency exchange subsidy
2. lose distribution/sales in region
3. up prices
4. lose sales in remaining regions
5. cut discounts again (eg. in US)
6. lose distribution...sales....etc

If Ross C. is still listening in, it would be great to hear that this drastic course of action is not really being contemplated?

cheers
Jonathan (Germany, and worried)

>>> ludoandries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 02/08/00 08:57:01 >>>
For the Belgium, Holland and Luxemburg listers:
Greenib BV, the Dutch importer will stop the import of Triumph motorcycles
due to the very high exchange rate of the English Pound.
I read that Triumph England gave until now a discount of 30% to make their
bikes payable and at the same price level of Japanese bikes but are going to
stop doing this.
Could give problems getting parts. (fuel senders ; )
Come one Britain, join the EURO and problem solved.

Ludo,
Belgium