re: Thinking about an upgrade

>  From: "Barry Croft" <Barry_Croft@xxxxxxxxxxx>, on 08/10/2000 14:00:
>  Hi folks
>
>  I'm currently a 'classic' owner ...  So I'm thinking about an ST or an RS
... But which to go for?
>  If I did go for the RS I'd have to raise the bars, since this old fogey has
had one biking wrist injury too many. It looks like the ST Genmar kit would
fit? Will it still clear that low screen?

	Nope, sorry. If you want to raise the bars you'll have to go for the ST
(like that's a sacrifice!). The GenMar risers are a bit too tall for the RS,
and the RS bars are a little lower to begin with, anyway.

> New cables needed?

	The required longer brake line is included with the GenMar risers.

>  With either I'd also have to have the off-road exhaust, just for the sound -
is it necessary to remap, and is it easy/cheap to do?

	The injection remap is part of the pipe installation, but I suppose you
could install the pipe and then have your dealer download the new map to your
computer if you prefer to do it yourself.

>  My guess is that many of you will have faced the same decision, so if you'd
care to share your thoughts and comments I'll be most grateful. What did you
decide and why? Any regrets?

	FWIW, I looked seriously at both, but the hard, locking panniers sold
me on the ST. My only complaint would be the heat you get when sitting still,
which seems to dissipate more easily with the half fairing of the RS. The
power, handling, and range of both are very, very impressive to me. I think the
RS might be touch better at twisty fun rides while the ST has the edge on
touring, but both bikes are so phenomenally good at both it's mostly a matter
of styling preference and fit. You'll be gloriously happy with either one.

Don't know if I helped any...

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	Spring, Texas, USA