Subject: Re: MPG??

Robert,
    I have gotten as high as 62 MPG riding at 65-70 MPH, However, I have
gotten 45 MPG riding in traffic in the cities. On the trip I returned from
on Monday I ran the tank dry and had to put all 5.5 gallons back in at 275
miles (50 MPG). I was travelling between 80-85 MPH with bursts up to 95 to
maneuver through traffic. I short shift a lot and seldom downshift to pass.
Also, I have the factory panniers and this trip I had a bedroll and tent on
the luggage rack.
    For some reason, I thought I had a 6.5 gallon tank and always ran up to
225-240 miles on this trip before refilling. I reread the manual when I got
home. OOPS! By the way, the fuel sender went nuts as soon as I pumped
Canadian gas into the tank (after 3 days, it would only go to 3/4 and the
low fuel light would come on at 125 miles) and then worked as before (goes
to full and light comes on at 200 miles) when I returned to Minnesota, where
we have ethanol oxygenated fuel year round to subsidize the corn growers. I
wonder if the alcohol keeps it clean. Of course, it indicates full until
about 100 miles, so I still don't trust it. Around town, I fill up when it
gets 150+ on the trip meter and I see gas for cheap. The last 1/2 gallon is
a b****h to get in.
Ciao,
Bob - red '99 ST

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------