Subject: Re: st-digest V2000 #404

Mike,
    Don't take it to the dealer unless you like them a lot, or there is a
cute girl at the parts counter. Just pop off the front sprocket cover and
take a look. The countershaft seal would weep from the backside of the
sprocket, so you may need a dental-type inspection mirror ( a couple bucks
at the auto parts store) The chain may have been overtightened from the
dealer/factory even if you haven't touched it. The cover bolts are 8mm, as
is the bolt for the shift lever that is in the way of the bottom cover bolt.
My shift lever was loose and the clevis pin fell out of the rear brake
linkage when I first got mine. Also, my left footpeg broke in half (without
making contact with anything). Check 'em while you are down there.
    Otherwise, degrease the engine in the area where the oil is now, then
take it for a ride for a 1/2 hour and check it again. Maybe you can pin it
down that way. Less downtime and a little more knowledge of your new bike
may be a side benefit.
Ciao,
Bob - '99 red ST

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------