Subject: Re: bug cleaner

Dave,

You wrote>> Does this mean the window cleaner removes the wax faster than
say soap or
auto cleaner.

    Ammonia used to be the key ingredient in floor strippers until they came
up with the (somewhat) less smelly and dangerous citrus varieties. Since
they were removing floor wax, I assume they take some auto wax off (so does
a soap and water wash), so it's a good idea to reapply regularly. A lot of
new auto "waxes" aren't really wax, so I don't know how the Ammonia affects
them. I use Meguire's Gold as my main wax. I even apply it liberally to the
windshield. I use Windex on it even though it is not recommended. I used the
Meguire's plastic cleaner and polish, but it was streaky and didn't take the
bugs off (and man o' man, there are a lot of bugs here). By the way, the
windshield looks very shiny after I wax it inside and out. I only use Rainex
on my helmet visor as I find the water scoots up off the windshield onto my
faceshield when I put it on the stock windshield. I haven't tried it with
the taller windshield, but I didn't seem to need to.
    Martin mentioned using "Autoglym", which I have never heard of. I assume
that it is a softer wax. I have used that technique as well. Then you take
off  the soft wax with the bugs, but leave the heavy duty wax behind. I used
to actually use Pledge. I suspect the quick detailers currently available
work pretty similarly.
    It used  to be so easy with my dirtbikes! Just hose everything down with
WD40 (after ST100) and wipe it off. It took off pine tar, tree sap, blood,
bugs, chain lube, ... you name it. By the way, I use WD40 on the ST to take
off tar (belly pan and swingarm) and chain lube before I wash my bike (which
takes off the WD40). It even takes off the chain wax. WD40 is just Kerosene
and machine oil.
    One last thing. I use 3M silicone lube on my mirror boots. I spray it on
a paper towel and wait a moment for the solvent/vehicle to evaporate. Then I
wipe down the boots and buff them off. They get very clean and shiny and
bugs don't stick. Don't do this to the seat and tires, no matter how cool it
looks!
Ciao,
Bob - red '99 ST

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $7.99/mo! ------