Bike maintenance

After having the fuel leak problem on my bike not
satifactorily dealt with by my dealer, I feel a great
bike is being ruined by poor standards at our dealers.
My thoughts now are on equiping my garage with the
necessary tools in order to sort out most issues (&
servicing) myself. I know that a lot of American
listers do a lot of maintenance themselves and am now
starting to see the sense of it. If anyone has any
comments on what level of skill, shop manuals, tools
etc would make sense I'd appreciate it.

Regards Tim.

 - a biker determined not to let dealers get me down.