Random notes from a quick SF to LA trip

Tonight I took Booh on an optimized-for-speed-not-interesting trip from
San Francisco to Los Angeles.  Total time was a little over six and a half
hours, including a nasty bit of rush hour traffic from Pleasanton to
Livermore, a stop for dinner, two gas stops, and two bio breaks.

This is the first trip I've taken since I put the ZeroG sport touring
screen on, and I absolutely love it.  It's tall enough that I can duck
down behind it when I want to, but short enough that I can also stay
above it.  It's noisy if I crouch halfway, but not bad with earplugs.
I didn't get any substantial helmet buffeting.

Lanesplitting on grooved, broken pavement scares the bejesus out of
me.  I didn't realize how tense I was until I got off the bike the
first time, and my hands were numb.

My gas mileage has improved dramatically... I suspect that I had a
fuel leak for quite a while, and it only went away after the tank was
replaced.  On previous trips, I was only getting about 35 MPG, and I'd
get a low fuel light at about 160 miles.  Today I hit reserve at 220,
and got about 47 MPG.  And that was mostly cruising at 90, with all
three bags on the bike.

This bike speaks to me in frightening ways.  When I lean into it, he
starts whispering, "Go ahead, give it a little bit more.  You want to
go faster, I know you do.  C'mon, just a little bit more gas.  Do it
for me.  OOohhh, yeah, like that.  That's good.  More?  Please?"

I'm looking forward to a much more leisurely ride home on Sunday.

- -Patti