Re: Universal Underwriters

Lex Offer <reffoxel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been told he'll probably want to go the fix it route instead of
> replacement of parts route.  Ya'll have any suggestions on How I should
> deal with that?  What has been ya'lls experience with Universal Underwriters.

Lex,

Sorry to hear about the accident. It's sounds a little too familiar.

Last year I went went down when some knothead was hugging the center
line. I was to his right and slightly behind him when 3/4 of the way
through the intersection he suddenly decided to turn right. No signals.
No warning. It happened so fast I wasn't sure if he clipped my front
tire or I hit a bump when I squeezed the brakes. I have UU and they
looked at the Blue Devil within a week after I brought it into the shop.
The shop manager told me it would be best if they saw it there and could
do a little bit of a strip down to find hidden broken bits. Luckily, the
shop manager knew the adjuster and had dealt with them before. He told
me not to worry. UU went the replacement route on it. The estimate was
for about USD1850 and the check that I got was for 500 less. My
deductible kicked in because they couldn't prove fault with the driver.

I don't see what they can repair with out replacing on a bike. Maybe he
feels that the fairings can be bondo-ed and repainted. Any bent or
scratched metal bits should be replaced. Was the frame bent? Maybe he he
feels that it can be easily straightened? I dunno. Seems to me that the
guy may already have made a diagnosis without ever having seen it. Or
maybe this is his first motorcycle claim.

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
A Red Sox fan living in Yankee country

2000 Sprint ST "Blue Devil"
1980 Honda CM400T "My Little Red Putt-Putt"

I.A.T.S.E. Locals #52 & 84

"The moment you're born you start dying.
 So you might as well have a good time."
                             Cake