Re: RS newbie questions

| Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:05:05 +0000
| From: "Barry Croft" <Barry_Croft@xxxxxxxxxxx>
|
| Rattles. It's developing a light rattle at 2500-3000 rpm. I'm not too
worried since the only two other triples I've ridden (my 'bird and a
borrowed Trident) both did the same. But it was dead quiet until about 1000
miles ... so can other RS owners just reassure me this is normal please?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Normal and useful.  Your Sprint talks to you!  Here, it's asking you nicely
to please downshift.  The triple is a very
likeable motor and it's quirks will quickly grow on you.

| Temperature. On the open road it reassuringly settles at 86-87°C, whether
I'm going fast or slow. But in town traffic or at standstill it quickly
heats up to 100+ and the fan then cuts in. I've not had a bike that gets
this hot this easily before. It never goes over 102 or so, and the book says
not to worry unless it gets above 120, but again a plea to other owners - is
this normal?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Normal again.  Mine often does to 212F+, which is 100C+.

I don't think your chances of getting a bad bike are very high.  They make
them to close
tolerances and they are amazingly alike.  I've ridden four RS's so far and
have been
struck at just how exactly alike they are.

| Gear shift. The box is getting smoother and I can usually get neutral now,
but I've decided the lever is set a little high, forcing me to lift my foot
to too steep an angle for up-changes. Is it better to use the adjuster
screws right from the start to correct this, or do I need to pull it off the
spline and move it down one tooth first, then fine adjust with the screws?
I'm just trying to save time by asking folk who've done the job.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Haven't had to change this, but I think it's in the searchable archives for
this group.

| Wheelies! My first happened by accident this morning. I was nipping past a
slow truck on the country lanes on the way to work, going uphill so using
quite a lot of throttle from about 3000 rpm in 3rd gear, happened to hit a
gentle bump as I passed him at about 5000 - and up came the front for a few
yards, then slowly settled to earth again, as gently as a feather. Startling
me as much as the driver beside/behind me! Not really a whole lot of revs at
the time, just a booming mid-range, and no slipping clutch either ... purely
on the throttle. Lovely.
That's right, as Mr. John Joss put it, the Sprint has "big balls".

A very similar thing happened to me (hit a dump exiting a bend and did a
gentle wheelie by accident),
and I also enjoyed the experience and plan to learn how do do wheelies on
purpose one of these days.

- -Don Draper, Jr.