Re: Street luge at the Rallye (was Re: Back) -- Long message

On Sat, 26 Aug 2000, The Flowers wrote:

> brake lights come on suddenly just on the downside of the turn.  His
> back-end breaks free and he almost low-sides, but recovers.  Eric's lights

Hardly, if I had $10 for every time I got the 9r's rear wheel to
wiggle like that I would already have enough money for the ST :-)
Remember I live in Dallas, and have at least one DBC cut me off a
week :-( But as a good rider, I always ensure that I am either
seen, or have enough space to react and avoid the cager.

> All the critical events involving the TOA bike occurred before reaching the
> grass clippings.  This isn't to say that having crass clippings on the road
> is OK -- they were just an accident waiting to happen.  However it is my
> opinion based on walking back through the scene and also based on my prior
> experience at crash scenes that they were not a contributing factor in this
> incident.

I would disagree somewhat, personally when I say the grass clippings
my first reaction was, get the braking done now, ASAP, 'cause if
I have to go to the right of this cage turning left I am going to
be in the grass, and I will go down!

If it was not for the grass I would passed the obviously turning
left cager on the right. With the grass there I stayed to the left
and came to an almost stop (never had my feet down, but I was barely
moving)

Again, this is all our speculation, I remember the Gentlemen who
went down saying that he saw another car in the interestion. So
all we are doing is speculating.

> So, what was the contributing factor?  In my opinion it was speed -- for the
> line-of-sight we were all going too fast.  Three out of four of us in that
> grouping were lucky.  The fourth was not.  None of us left adequate time to
> react to unusual circumstances.  And that is exactly what we encountered.

yup, probably guilty as charged :-(

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
5100 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 1000, Plano, TX, 75024
V: 214-495-5665  F: 214-495-5664