RE: Jack Lilley comes through again

> From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
> Robert Marion
>
> Two days ago, I was riding and heard a noise.  I checked
> the rear view mirror, and there is my bag flying down
> the road.  Now, I could have sworn that I did lock the
> bag.  In fact, I'm certain it was locked because after I
> pulled over and ran down the side of a freeway in full suit
> and helmet, I had to unlock the thing to reatttach it.
> The bag is quite damaged and needs to be replaced.  Has
> anyone had this happen to them?

I've removed the bags and brackets from my bike because I was afraid
that something like that would happen. Over time it seems that the
leading edge of the bag lip wears into the stop at the from of the
slot the lip fits into. As the parts wear against each other, the bag
gets looser and looser. As the bag gets looser, the parts wear more
rapidly until the latch doesn't seem to actually hold the bag in
place.

Complicating matters is the very thin metal used in the latch
assembly, especially around the pin. Because it is so thin, it wears
rapidly allowing the latch much more free play than it really should
have. Add the wear from the lip and rail to the worn latches and
eventually, you will lose a bag.

As soon as I have some more time, I will try to figure out a way to
minimize the wear at the lip and/or keep the latch from acquiring too
much free play. Of course, none of that will do me much good until I
figure out a good way to repair the inner pannier cracks.