RE: Fuel dilution of engine oil - responses

> From: owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-st@xxxxxxxxxx]On
> Behalf Of Bird, Garry
>
> Response:  Actually, they have the "new oil data" on the
> sheet so a person can compare what the new oil looks
> like compared to their sample.  I didn't actually send
> them a new oil sample right from one of my bottles.
> After all, the oil is factory sealed and from a reputable
> manufacturer so I wouldn't expect that the oil is
> substandard.

Oil from different batches can have different viscosities, even if it
is held to close tolerances in manufacture. I've even seen oil from
different drums of the same batch show (slight) differences in
viscosity. If dilution is measured by a change in viscosity, you
pretty much have to use a sample of the original oil used to fill the
engine for comparison.