re: Subject: five years of triumph

I feel your pain.  I bought my 96 TBird in March 96, only suffer through a
whole year of frustration over a water temp sensor problem that makes the
fuel gauge sensor fiasco on my ST seem like child's play.  With the price
drop etc., my Tbird ended up being the most expensive bike per mile that I
ever owned (and I've owned over 15 bikes!); very unpleasant experience.

Likewise concerned about upgrading my ST.  Have already put about $750 extra
on the bike (race can, upgraded seat, luggage rack, odd bits of worthless
cosmetic stuff that makes it look faster) and I too am very hesitant about
investing another $1500 smackers for much needed suspension upgrade.

On the Zen side, life is all about trade offs--just listen to a Duc owner
complain about the cost/freq of valve adjustments, or ask him/her to join
you on a 2K mike ride and see them fret about reliability? (BTW: I had the
only Trump ST in the Minnesota 2000; 2000 miles in 2 days, ran like a charm,
as it always does).

And while you can't take the character thing to the bank and it doesn't make
your bike go faster, run smoother or cost less, I do get a lot of pleasure
out of most everyone I meet along the way (except BMW owners for some
reason) getting excited about seeing a new Triumph.

IMHO when you add it all up, on balance, my ST is the best road bike road
I've owned to date.

Jay S. Levine
office: (651) 687-5793
cell: (612) 308-9424
home: (612) 294-0779
shameless self promotion: http://home.mn.rr.com/levine98/index.htm
"Remember, it's not where you live, but how"