Re: New Orleans info

Hi Doug,

I took a two wheeled trip to Louisiana in October and spent one night in New
Orleans.  I stayed at the Sleep Inn at 334 O'Keefe Ave; (504)524-5400 and had
a very good experience.  The hotel is located within easy walking distance(10
minutes) of the French Quarter and has gated outside parking with TV
surveillance. When the concierge/security person realized I was on a bike he
made sure that I got a parking spot with good camera coverage and a room on
the side of the building overlooking the parking area.  When I inquired, he
recommended a nice restaurant nearby, informed me he was working all night
and would keep an eye on my bike!  For additional insurance, and frankly
because I felt I was getting excellent service, I tipped him handsomly.  :)

Cost of the room was $129.00 + 19.00 for parking per night.  I just showed up
at the last minute without a reservation(not recommended) and feel I was
fortunate to get a room.

I'm posting this response to the list because I have a couple of additional
comments on bike security while touring I want to share.  Three things I
always do that have thus far been successful are:

1)  use a half-cover while parked at night(keeps nosy people, kids, etc. away
from bike);  I use and recommend the EZ Touring;  it is light, waterproof and
packs very small - usual disclaimers apply

2)  attach a disc lock(will discourage casual theft, but not a determined or
professional thief)

3)  don't worry about what I can't control;  I know I've taken reasonable
precautions, but I realize they might not be enough and my bike might get
stolen/vandalized anyway(that's what my insurance is for); so I don't worry
unnecessarily and enjoy my trip!!

Good luck Doug!  If you have any other questions please ping me off-line.

Best,

David Godfrey,  N.E. Ohio
00 R1150 GS