Heat from engine

Hello all,
Just bought a Jet Black '99 Sprint St with 1800 miles on it about 1 ½ weeks
ago (have already registered on the member list). I traded in my '98
Thunderbird Sport on it, and although I really loved that bike, I really
lusted after the ST as I plan on doing some longer distance riding. I simply
could not believe the smoothness and handling of the bike! It is truly a
generation ahead of the TBS. I enjoyed the Thunderbird Sport Riders web page
and exchanged a great deal of useful information. I look forward to more of
the same here.  I live in Southern California and we are fortunate to ride
in a fairly temperate climate. However, some days get pretty hot, and there
are some pretty cool days/nights.

I have a couple of questions:
1.	Is there an archive of messages on the web page? I did not find it.
2.	What have owners done about the heat that emanates from the right
side? I had heard about it, but had not experienced it until last weekend. I
have also heard about owners removing the chin fairing to let the heat
escape down below. I am speculating that the heat is coming from the header
pipe that runs through fairing.   If only the heat could be ducted somewhere
else beside my right leg!
3.	What do people recommend for heated vests? (yep, talking about too
hot in one question and too cold in another - really, I'm not that difficult
a person - trust me!). The plug receptacle on the right side seems perfectly
located.
4.	I have heard about the unreliability of the fuel quantity system
(the sender perhaps?). Has anyone gotten theirs sorted out? I have heard the
best you can hope for is no leaks. As an engineer, there should be a real
solution at some point I would think.
5.	Has anyone fitted a GPS unit? I have seen articles in Motorcycle
Consumer News about GPS units, and there are a variety of suppliers. Who has
fitted what and what are the pros and cons.
6.	I am getting the 3-bag set up (saddle and trunk). Has anyone also
used the tank bag? I figure that if I get the GPS, I don't need the map
holder on the top of the tank bag.

Anyway, I love the bike and can see it has a loyal following. Anyone in
Southern Cal that wants to get together for a ride, let me know.  I live in
San Juan Capistrano and ride Ortega on the weekends.

Bill Findiesen
Work: 562-797-1464
william.h.findiesen-jr@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:william.h.findiesen-jr@xxxxxxxxxx>