Re: tall windscreen initial impressions

Previously, you (James & Michelle Huber) wrote:
> 	My steal-of-a-deal tall Triumph windscreen arrived this evening ...
> [... snip ...]
> 	I've read some past posts about turbulence with the tall screen, so I
> kept expecting it. Getting through town at 45 - 50 mph was smooth and quiet.

I've never found the tall screen to cause turbulence (BTW, I'm 5'10" if
you feel it makes a difference).  However I do notice that at high speed
- -- triple digits (who, me? Never!) -- there is a lot of flex of the
screen and cockpit.  Probably not a good idea to push the speed with it
mounted.

> Getting onto more major roads at around 60 mph proved no different. Finally out
> on the interstate at 70 mph to, well, let's just say it got the "triple digit
> test"; still no turbulence.

Did you notice the flex?

> The noise is different - not as much wind directly
> on the helmet, but a bit of wind noise off of the top edge of the windscreen
> itself, I think. Within about 20 minutes I was accustomed to it and didn't even
> notice the difference any more.

Definately quieter!

> 	Two problems with the tall windscreen: 1. You have to recalibrate your
> internal speedmeter: I kept going faster than I thought I was because it was
> smoother and quieter. 2. Hard acceleration catches you more off guard because
> you're not already leaning into the wind. Gee, if those are the only problems,
> and they dissappear when you get accustomed to it, then no problem! Frankly, I
> really like the tall windscreen.

3rd problem for some people is the appearance.  Personally I feel it
just changes the visual character from a touring sport bike look to
something that is leaning more towards the Trophy direction.  Acceptable
to me, given the protection it affords.

4th problem is you don't get as much wind lift to take weight off your
hands and wrists for long rides.

BTW, it is also excellent in the rain or heavy wind gusts if you crouch
low over the tank behind it.

> 	Now I do live in Houston, so I figure it'll have to come off when the
> weather warms up again. That's fine, too. Next year we'll see how well full
> perf Vanson gear works with less wind.

And I'm in Clearwater, FL where I'm overdue to install the tall screen
for winter.  These 45F morning communtes are chilly! But it'll be off
again by April.

> Winter? What winter? Ride on!

Ride on?  Right on!  :-)

- --