Re: Trailering

Here's what I've gleaned from trailering my bike several times, including once learning the hard way, how not to do it.

Chocking the wheels is irrelevant. If the bike is securely cinched down, the wheel won't move. If the bike isn't adequately cinched down, chocking the wheel won't save it from tipping over.

I've heard that compressing the forks too much can cause damage, but I've never experienced it (even during one long 2000 mi trip). If you're worried, you could find attachment points at the frame to bear the cinch pressure. Since I'm not intimately familiar with the Sprint, I can't suggest any specific points.

I've never owned a bike with a centerstand, so I've never towed that way, but I think that it would be a bad idea. The bike is more stable with both wheels in contact with the trailer, the centerstand has a smaller contact patch, so it would be easier to pivot, shift, or tip over. The kickstand should also be up.

A bike tiedowned at the front two attachment points, should be secure. If you can move it side to side, its not secure enough. The rear two attachments are merely extra reassurance. Lastly, all attachment points should be in the same direction (ie. all pulling forward). Frequently you see bikes tied down such that the front  tiedowns attach to a point forward of the bike and the rear tiedowns attach to a point behind the bike. This results in forces pulling the bike in different directions (opposing each other). The bike will be more secure if all the forces are pulling the bike in the same direction (ie. all tie downs pull forward).

Daphne

Shop Name-Brand stores for the holidays using the Nettaxi StoreRunner!
http://shop.storerunner.com/nettaxi/