Re: Tools - Good Brand Names

As far as I'm concerned, the best tools available in the US are the Snap-On
brand, bar none. others that come to mind are Cromwell, Matco, Bonney, S&K,
Armstrong, Stanley, and Proto.

As for Sears "Crapsman", I wouldn't spend a wooden nickel in that place.
Here's why:

I borrowed a Craftsman "Microtorque" torque wrench from a neighbor. It
snapped the head clean off, just before reaching the preset torque of
105lbs/ft, some 45 lower than the max setting. Nuts.

Off to Sears. Hey, it's a Craftsman, they'll give me a new one. Nope. No
way, no how. The clerk, then the department manager both said they don't
warrantee torque wrenches. Huh? It says "Craftsman", it's covered, right?
No, not torque wrenches. How convenient.  :(

So I tried to pay for a new one, but (at the time, no longer true I think)
they would ONLY take a Sears or Discover credit card, and I didn't have $150
on me. Other times, I've tried to exchange broken screwdrivers, and they
wouldn't replace them, saying I misused it (NOT true, I know the difference
between a screwdriver and a prybar).

Stay away from Sears, far away. All of the above mentioned tool makers carry
the same (or better) warranty, and most even cover torque wrenches.

My source for tools: www.mscdirect.com or 800-645-7270

MSC Industrial Supply has Stanley, Armstrong, Proto, Allen, and a few more.
Snap-On, Cromwell, and Matco are sold only through dealers, those guys with
heavily armored trucks.

Ken M.
2000RS