Basic Rider Rules And Tips

My, this was appropriate for me today...

> Remember riding isn't inherently dangerous... crashing is.

> No one has ever hit something too slow.

> A 'good' ride is one from which you can walk away. A 'great' ride is
> one after which you can use the bike again.

I just had a 'good' ride this morning.  Coming around a traffic
circle, the pickup in front of me hit its brakes rather hard to stop
for a bicyclist in a crosswalk.  I grabbed two fingers of front brake,
locked the front wheel (I think), and went down fairly hard on the
left side.  Didn't hit the truck, I'm fine modulo a sore left thumb
and a couple of skinned knees, but the bike is a mess.  I doubt that
the front end is bent at all, but all the front and left side bodywork
is cracked.  The tail piece is fine, the right bag is fine, the left
bag came off and is quite scraped up but still functional.  Shifter's
bent, mirrors bent, brake lever (interstingly) broke off at the bar
casting.  Seat cowling and hugger (my other two accessories) are
perfect.  Bike has about 350 miles on it, just getting broken in.

Total rookie mistake that I shouldn't have made (I've been riding for
more than half my 29 years, I ride year 'round and every day, the ST
shares the garage with two other bikes), not paying enough attention,
late for work, on a road I ride twice a day, dry pavement, scrubbed in
tires, just not enough following distance.  I'll heal; I'm much more
distraught about the bike.  It sounds crazy, but in this case I'd
gladly take a little more road rash to save Big Blue.  Anyway, I just
wanted to pass on my personal cautionary tale.  Be extra careful out
there.

If the damage is all bodywork-type stuff, anyone have an idea what
this is going to cost my insurance company?

Ride safe.

- -Carlin
'84 Ninja 900 "Beast"
'84 Interceptor 500 "Baby"