Re: Tools - Good Brand Names

OK, I admit it, I own a good number of Craftsman tools. The hand tools,
other than some cheap screwdrivers, have performed well. I have also had to
exchange a few sockets, without incident. In my case the bad attitude of a
clerk and his supervisor had more to do with my bad experiences at Sears
than the quality of the tools.

There was also some background. I was given a Sears washing machine. Repair
parts could only be had through Sears, even though it was made by Whirlpool.
Subtle changes to the design to make the parts a "Sears only" fit. At 2 to 3
times the price of comparable Whirlpool parts.

Same story on a Sears TV set I bought used. A diode went. The repairman said
it was $15..for the RCA version. Since I had a Sears, it was going to be
$100. Ouch. Those experiences all added up to the total reason why I have no
use for Sears.

Besides, I have a few SK, Snap-On, and Armstrong tools. They have proven
indestructable (I've inadventently tried). I'm a machinist. I make my living
with Starrett, Mitutoyo, Federal, Fowler, Brown & Sharpe, and other fine
tools. There are also a few $12.95 "made in China" micrometers in my
toolbox, because I know when it's wiser to risk wear and/or damage to the
cheap stuff, and most times, it works fine. But, when I need assurance of
putting out the best quality work, I reach for my finest tools. 'Nuff said.

Ken M.

End of st-digest V2000 #654