Re: 2001 RS

At 11:52 AM 12/12/00 +0200, Gerrit wrote:
>Hi
>I took delivery of a 2001 RS on 5 December 2000 and have done just over 800
>km's to date. To say the bike has "character" is a bit of an understatement,
>but i'm sure that the noisy and stiff gearbox will sort itself out as the
>miles roll past. My one true concern however is a second neutral between 5th
>and 6th gear.

Hmmm. With 12,000 km on the clock, my ST gearbox is now just about right. I
can easily find neutral at a standstill and changes are crisp and positive.
'Twere not so when new - stiff and vague changes were the order of the day.
On that basis, I think you can look forward to better changes as the bike
breaks in. Big improvement after the first service with the break in oil
replaced with good synthetic lube.

I've also managed to reduce "neutrals" by adjusting the rearset gear
linkage to ensure full lever movement when I change. Worth a try.

Gearbox noise? What kind? Clunks? Whining? Never had that on any Triumph,
so I'd get back to the dealer on that one.

HTH,

Robert Smith--Freelance Writer
'00 ST
www.smith.bc.ca