RE: Law Enforcement

Mike

You are obviously a cop or one of the privileged few who cops won't harass.
Perhaps your relative is "on the job" or maybe you are a fireman?
Unfortunately the rest of us are left to fend for ourselves and deal with
the reality that the man in blue is not our friend (and even worse may be
our enemy).

My real life experiences are such that I would tend to believe Mark's story.
I won't make an asinine statement like yours that doesn't allow that the
truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

I have been arrested where the cops knew or should have known better.  After
$3,000 in legal fees my case was dismissed in "The interest of justice",
which means that there never was any reason to be arrested in the first
place.  Why should I have had to go through the hassle let alone the expense
of defending what amounted to harassment?

If I made a blanket statement that all cops are pigs and do nothing but mark
time between doughnut stops until their pensions kick in would be as bad as
your implication that the men of "Law Enforcement" treated Mark fairly.
Without the facts, which probably will never be available, remarks like
yours, from a law enforcement bias, increase the probability that Mark was
probably screwed.  I would guess that Mark didn't do the yes sir no sir
routine (and why should he have had to to begin with) which pissed them off.

Perhaps all the cops you know are good ones.  I find this highly unlikely
and would think that they are just good to you.  I will tell you that not
all the cops I have met up with are bad ones, although this may be a
function of my age (44) because I certainly wasn't extended the courtesies I
am now twenty years ago.  Mike, get real and take off your blinders.

Why do highway cops just sit on the side of the road with a laser/radar gun
when on more than a few occasions a mile further down someone is trouble and
needs help because of an accident etc?  The answer is because it is easier
to pick off those dangerous criminals who threaten the status quo of society
by exceeding the speed limit by 10 mph.

There will always be conflict between cops and citizens as long as the
police have essentially Gestapo authority and personal agendas that go
beyond "law enforcement".  The worse part of it all is that in my
experiences this has been the "rule" rather than the "exception.

Eric

'00 Sprint ST Blue (soon to be seen in Key West (where I have a client whose
grandfather was the sheriff))

'80 Triumph TR-8 (soon to be restored AND exceeding the speed limit by more
than 10 mph (yes I know I am a danger to society))

'99 Mustang convertible (winter rat and tow vehicle)