Re: countershaft seal leak

Sprintst955 asked about a fix for the countershaft seal and if anyone
else has had the problem.

Yes, I've had the problem on my 97 Trophy 900 and my 99 Daytona.  My
Trophy still leaks slightly and the Daytona was traded before I had a
chance to correct it.  The parts are identical from the Daytona to the
Trophy to the Sprint.  I found that the actual leak on the Trophy was
not from the seal, but from between the countershaft sleeve and the
shaft itself.  The oil  would then get to the sprocket and immediately
get flung to the chain which keeps the chain oiled nicely.  After
replacing the seal twice and the sleeve once to no avail, the dealer
told me to silicone the sprocket's backside to the sleeve; and that has
slowed it down quite a bit, but it's not perfect.  The dealer told me he
does this with Honda's that leak there.  I don't know what the answer
is, but the problem lies in the shaft/sleeve/sprocket mating surfaces,
not the seal.  Maybe yours is simply a bad seal.

Good Luck,
Jonathan West
95 Trophy 4
99 ST