possible RS ergo fix, alternative bike suggestion (for Kathy Kost)

 >  From: Kathy Kost <kathyk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, on 12/27/2000 14:39:
>  What would I get?  Well, I've decided I want two things in a new bike if
>  I get one:  a standard (upright) seating position and the ability to get
>  hard bags.  Since I do mostly city riding with weekend jaunts now and then,
>  I've got my eye on the BMW F650GS, but I'm also looking at some of the other
>  new sporting standards out there.  I've had a Ducati Monster (M900) once
>  so I don't think I'll be getting one of those.
>
>  Kathy

	Well, the problems may be insurmountable for you, maybe not. I'd try
Heli bars (www.helibars.com). They say they can be adjusted up to 2" taller and
1.5" rearward for the ST. I figure it'll fit the RS, too, but you oughta check.

	If it comes down to another bike, let me make a suggestion with a
couple of minor considerations: Suzuki's SV650. I had a naked SV650 and it's
much more upright. I now have an SV650S (half-faired with clipons). Even the S
is a much shorter reach, but the naked model will stress your neck much less.
It's very torquey, but doesn't have the horsepower of the 955 motor. Lotsa fun,
but it doesn't accelerate well once above 100 mph (if you do that sport of
thing). Up to 100 mph, it's plenty.
	As far as reach, the bars are higher and closer - you'll have no
problem there. Besides, regular handlebars can be swapped or fitted to your
heart's content. The seat height is objectively similar but subjectively much
better. My 5'2" wife can maneuver and stop the SV650 easily.
	Now the hard bags would probably have to be Givi. The naked SV650 is
already pretty light up front and wants to wheelie anyway, so if you load up
the bags you may have trouble keeping the front wheel down. No, I'm not
kidding, and it isn't a joke. You may seriously have trouble keeping the front
wheel down with luggage on the rear. Something to consider seriously. Use a
tank bag for the heavy stuff if possible. RKA luggage (www.rka-luggage.com) has
a bunch of great SV650 luggage pics.
	The windscreen issue can be solved with stock Suzuki parts or a number
of aftermarket screens. The best 'fan club' website is svrider.com if you're
interested.
	The stock suspension on the SV650 sucks. Plan on spending at least a
grand replacing it. Given the sticker price of $5,800 for a new one, though,
who cares? The throttle is abrupt coming off idle, but that can be fixed with a
bit of needle shimming. Range is more limited: 50+ mpg and 4.2 gallons
(including 0.9 gallon reserve) gives you about 165 miles to the reserve light,
about 200 miles absolute maximum if you're not too risk averse or do a lot of
power walking. :-)

	If you like the Triumphs, the Legend is a lot more bike than you think.
It's 885cc, carbureted, and five speeds, but I kept up with ST's and RS's
through North Carolina twisties on Beth Friday's Legend. It's quite comfortable
- - much more upright with an easy reach to the bars, pegs almost right under
you, and low seat, but still very good ground clearance. Similar range to
SV650. It just doesn't have that sportbike look, I know...

FWIW,

	"Jedi Dawg"  Jim Huber
	'00 blue ST  "Rhiannon"
	'01 SV650S  "Cherii"