Re: New RS

Hi Roger

> Anyone got any comments on the choice of bike or any practical things to
consider before parting with my cash?

I bought an RS nearly new in August, and I'm VERY happy with it. I also
thought about the ST, and in fact test rode the two bikes back to back. The
ST was a little too heavy and spongy for my taste, and also too civilised
and 'Japanese' ... in fact too much like a VFR (which I've already owned).
But the RS was that crucial bit sportier - a little lighter, a lot sharper
handling. Minimalist. Much more fun on the A and B roads I spend most of my
60-miles a day commuting time on. More European in feel (like a sporty BMW
or even a Ducati).

I got mine from Carl Rosner in Croydon. He did me a great deal on his low
mileage demo, including a centrestand, carbon can, rack, tank protector and
ST bars in a price that was still lower than even currently advertised. The
only thing I'm not so sure about now (at about 5500 miles) are the ST bars,
which are as intended a little more comfortable for this old fogey in winter
traffic, but which spoil the handling. If you like your sports roadsters
pure, stick with the original bars. The gearbox was foot-hurtingly stiff at
first but is now shifting in butter. So far my biggest day has only been
500-odd miles, but it was fine, and I now have a 2,000 mile tour on it
planned for spring. I will be fitting a hugger and a mudguard extension at
the next service. You might also find it geared a bit high ... it has a tall
19-tooth front, which makes it very lazy and easy on motorways, but I feel
is stealing some of the oomph I'd like for my back lanes, so I'll be
dropping to 18 when the first chain dies.

I love it. I can recommend Carl too. Where are you?

Barry
(Sussex)