Warranty issues (was Aftermarket Can)

Hello,
	In the U.S., it is true that simply fitting an aftermarket can in
itself cannot void the warranty.  Read the following:

> Will it void my warranty??
>
>  Yes and no...according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:
>
>  ?No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such
>  product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other
>  than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is
>  identified by brand, trade or corporate name....? (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
>
>  So basically, if you have a warranty claim, the dealer (or warrantor) must prove that the part
>  that you modified directly caused the failure.  For example, if you chipped your car and the
>  exhaust falls off, then the car is still under warranty.

This taken from www.goapr.com, website for a manufacturer of performance
chips for Audis.  Yeah I know not motorcycles but you get the point.  If
someone wants to find the full Magnuson-Moss act and read the whole
thing feel free.  But my experience is that the dealer must prove the
aftermarket part caused the problem, in theory.  Haven't found anyone
who has had to fight for it.

Mark Collett

Mark Collett
Michelin Engineer