Re: GAUGE

>Had the latest version of the gauge installed last Staurday .
>It looks like working well....  so far.

I went through my first tank with the new gauge and it went like this:

0-100 miles = The gauge hasn't moved from full. Not only did Triumph fix
the fuel gauge, they've radically improved the gas mileage at the same
time. Operating costs are going way down!

110 miles = The gauge finally moves off of full.

150 miles = The gauge reads about 3/4 full. Not as good gas mileage as the
first 100 miles. I must be riding it harder.

170 miles = The gauge is now at the halfway point. Ok mileage is really
going down now. I don't seem to be riding any differently. Still, getting
340 miles on a tank is going to be excellent!

180 miles = 1/4 full. Wow, what happened! A 1/4 of a tank to go just 10
miles? I better get it back to the dealer, if I don't run out of gas first!

200 miles = Enters the red zone.

210 miles = Warning light comes on.

215 miles = Fill it up, uses 4.8 gallons, for about 44mpg.

So while the new gauge starts in the right place, and ends in the right
place, using it to judge how much fuel you actually have is foolish, to say
the least, and could be downright dangerous. After having a year to correct
a problem that should have been fixed before the bike was released, I'm a
bit disappointed with Triumph on this one. It looks like I'm still stuck on
relying on the trip odometer for planning my refueling.

I feel Triumph should offer at least one of the following to correct this
problem, since I would like to be able to use the trip odometer for its
intended purpose, keeping track of mileage on a trip.

1. Improve the accuracy of the gauge's curve.

2. Give us a second trip odometer. This was one feature of the VFR that I
really liked, and I understand the RS also has two.

3. Install a reserve petcock. This is what really bothers me about the fuel
gauge problem. I've had other bikes that had fuel gauges, and while they
were much better than the ST's, they could still be misleading. But at
least they had a reserve, so you knew when you were getting low.

For those of you who have an old working gauge, or who have also received
the new one, I'm curious if your gauge shows the same curve. Any idea
whether there is an adjustment that can be made?

Matt Knowles - mattknowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.earthlink.net/~mattknowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - (408) 977-1804
http://www.aestheticdesign.com