Re: Battery Choices

Listers,
I've been over on the Honda CBX list for quite a while, there was a Yuasa
thread that went on and on. The subject was SBD (sudden battery death)
Here's the symptom, you hit the starter switch, everything dies. No neutral
light, headlight, nothing. After you screw around with fuses etc. finding
nothing, turn the ignition switch back on and everything's back! until you
hit the starter switch again, then repeat. Its almost as if a current
activated switch in the battery opens then closes after the load is gone. A
related symptom is that sometimes they just pop and their dead and stay
dead.This was widely reported on the list. I've personally witnessed SBD on
Four different bikes (various models) over the last Two years. These were
all Yuasas, none very old, all well cared for. I'm not sure what Triumph's
using in their new bikes but this may relate to the battery comments I've
been seeing on the Triumph lists. I replaced my last Yuasa with a el cheapo
from a local auto parts store, no problems so far. Other CBX'rs are taking
the same approach with good results. Yuasa private labels batteries for
other sellers (including Sears) look for different style caps to tell if
its a Yuasa or not.
Mark R
82 CBX
Sprint ST (someday)