Re: Okeechobee Ride

Eric Sheley wrote:

> Anyway, Mark (who was participating in a family day), Bill (who was
> working), and Ken (who was frantically searching for his wife's bday
> present) - you guys missed a great day. For those others of you stuck
> indoors, buried under snow ,ice and other forms of inclement weather, my
> condolences....

Well I got to ride my bike around the parking garage where I have it currently. The
bike had been setting unattended for two weeks all through the single digit temps
and double digit wind chill weather we have been going through since the first snow
since March for New England. Went in uncovered it, powered it up and hit the
starter, crank for a couple of revs and it fired right up. All this, I believe,
lends credence to the problems with batteries may be chalked up to a bad batch.

I was able to inspect the bike closer for damage incurred during a crash that
happened during aforementioned storm. I must say it came through well. The left
side saddlebag has some light scratches on the textured lower porting running up
into the painted section. None of them go through the paint. On the raised portion
around the air vent in the left side faring there are some more light scratches.
The greatest damage occurred to the point where the lower faring bends up into the
windshield support. There it scraped through to the white plastic. A spot about the
size of a quarter. There were some light scratches on the bar end. The bag mounting
hardware took some damage. The "L" piece on the tongue of the bag that engages the
lock has straighten and the hooked piece on the lock has bent so the bag no longer
locks down. I'm afraid when I go to straighten the bag piece it is going to break
for there are already stress cracks in the bend. It only rivets to the mount so it
shouldn't be difficult to fab a new piece. The lock should been back nicely.
Finally the shift lever is bent upward at the end slightly and will need to be
straightened. All tolled not too bad. Some time with some rubbing compound take
care of most of it. Some careful sanding, primer and paint and we are just left
with a lesson learned.