Re: Fairing removal

At 11:36 AM 02/01/2000 -0800, Matt Knowles wrote:
 >Awhile back I had Cal BMW/Triumph install my garage door remote into the
 >fairing. It never worked so I need to pull everything apart to see what

1st - are you sure that it worked before they installed it?

 >shop manual yet, can someone provide the instructions for what I need to
 >remove in order to get behind the dash panel? I'm not sure what actually
 >has to be removed, and I don't want to remove more than I have to.

from "the book"

1 - remove seat
2 - disconnect battery neg lead first
3 - remove both mirrors (pull back boots to expose bolts)
4 - remove trim panel from each side of the windscreen (on the inside)
5 - remove lower two windscreen securing screws
6 - remove both lower fairings
7 - release the fixings securing the cockpit
8 - lift the cockpit gently forward and disconnect the front position light.
9 - disconnect the directional signals at their multiplugs
10 - the cockpit can now be removed

When I removed mine, I was able to get mine off by simply removing the
bolts on the lower fairing at the upper edges (where they mate with the
cockpit) and then loosening the rest. Others find that it is too tight and
simply remove the lower fairings.

HTH

- - Eric