RE: Autocom

>Has anyone had much experience with autocom communication systems?  I have a
>few questions, if anyone can help.

>1. Is the "Eurocom" system good enough or should I spend the money for the
>pro system?

The Eurocom system should sonically be good enough.  If you want voice and
music, however, the Pro system has some features that are handy.

>2. Where do you mount the box when you hard wire the system on an ST?

Probably under the seat.  I use mine almost exclusively on my R1100RT.

>3. I will initially use it for passenger-rider intercom and stereo.  Then
>will buy FRS radio and hookups.  Has any one used the FRS system?

Yep, using Kenwood "Talkabout" (I think) radios.  We've had three couples
communicating.

>4. Can you really use this system up to say 100 MPH?

85 mph works well.  Haven't actually tried it at 100mph.  I'm repeatedly
impressed by the ambient noise matching features that raise the volume to
match.

>5. The only place I have found to buy the autocom is mail order through Top
>Gear is there any others or better places?

There are others.  Top Gear has decent service.

>6. Where do you mount the connections on the bike for the helmet wiring?

On my R1100RT I have one coming out between the seat and tank for the rider
and the passenger and radio connections come out the left side of the
passenger section of the seat.  You can probably do something similar on
the ST.  I used spiral plastic wrap to help protect the cables...the stuff
some people use on brake lines.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm quite happy with my Autocom
system.  It's not perfect, but very very good.

- -Stephen

seh750@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netcom.com/~seh750/home.htm