Re: groan, whinge ... more battery problems

At 03:35 PM 03/03/2000 +0100, Leatherbiker wrote:
 >is it not being recharged when I ride?
 >is there an alternator on this bike that isn't working?

Sorry hit send too quick. The battery will discharge if you only use it for
city driving at low speeds and use accessories like heated grips.

The alternator puts out a variable amount depending on the rpm of motor. It
is designed to meet worse case in town conditions - i.e.
all lights on, heated grips fitted, maximum current drawn from accessory
socket, brakes on half the time, indicators on, minimum revs used to pull
away, not weaving in traffic etc. etc.  As soon as the bike reaches 2000
rpm, it has the ability to run all the above. At idle, it will be at a
drain condition, so if the bike was left at idle for long stretches of time
in a city environment, you would be using the battery at some points.

At idle it puts out 15 amps, rising to 30 amps at 2000 rpm up to 44 at
6000rpm. The curve flattens out at 45 amps maximum.

- - Eric