Re: New Blue ST

Adam <penadam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A few weeks back this list was kind enough to answer all my questions
about
> the Sprint ST.  But, unfortunately you also hexed me!  I couldn't get the
ST
> out of my brain and I went and bought a blue '00.

Congratulations!

> Actually, I bought it
> last week but I've been to busy riding in my spare time to thank everyone
> for helping to push me over the edge and buy one. In fact the only reason
> have time to write now is that I promised my wife I'd take her for a ride
> this weekend and I'm at 432 miles so I need to save the last seventy for
> her. It looks like part of her ride this weekend will be following me up
> the dealership to drop the bike off and get the accessories installed and
> the first maintenance.

The 500 mile service is the EARLIEST distance to get that work done, not an
absolute requirement.  The mechanics at my shop were told during the factory
training that stretching beyond 500 by a 200-300 miles might actually be a
good thing.

Also, in the last stages of run-in prior to the first service interval you
should be heavier on the trottle; really start pushing the bike.

> The first 100 miles were tough.

Hardest part of run-in (on the rider).  Good thing it doesn't last long.

> The trine didn't start to loosen up until
> 200+ miles (I had a real difficult time hitting 3rd at first-the bike
wanted
> to stay in 2nd) but it is certainly shifting much better now.

I had trouble getting out of 1st.  It really improved at about 1300 miles,
but still sticks on occasion.

> My neck was
> killing me after a 4 hour ride on Saturday. I hope my body can adapt to
this
> position or else I'll be looking for taller bars.

I had problems with my wrists, easily solved with the installation of GenMar
risers.  Brought the bars up 1.25" and back 0.5".

> My only real question for everyone involves the priming when you turn on
the
> ignition.  Does the volume of the pump seem to go up (way up-louder than
the
> idling engine) when the ambient air is cold (say under 40 F).  Also- it
> keeps on making that priming sound for a few miles (and no, I don't hit
the
> start button until the priming sound stops).  Even with a warm engine the
> pump is much louder when it is cold outside.  In the afternoons when it is
> in the 60s or 70s you can hear it prime but it is not nearly as loud. I'm
> not sure if it keeps priming once the engine starts because it isn't loud
> enough.  Anyway, that will be one question I'll also ask the dealer on
> Saturday.

That doesn't sound normal.

> Thanks to everyone for helping to push me over the edge and buy the ST.
> Everyone has been so friendly and helpful I'm going to try to make it to
> your ST Rally this year to meet a few of you in person.

I want to be there too.  Actually it is "we"; Willemina wants to go too,
driving the cage and maybe trailering her Nighthawk.
- --
Bill Flowers -- Never Say Die
'00 Sapphire Blue Triumph Sprint ST "Jewel"
- --
New Years Resolution: SaddleSore (tm) 1000 or bust!