RE: Fuel gauge vrs oil pressure gauge vrs voltmeter vrs ammeter

Not necessarily. I picked up a 2' long, 1/2" diameter steel rod on
I-5 near Camp Pendleton a few months back that took out the oil
filter while doing minimal damage to the fairing (a quarter-sized
chunk out of one panel that was getting replaced anyway). Most of
the oil filter (especially the part that got hit - about 1" above
the bottom) is above the drain plug, so any sender there would
likely have been destroyed as well.