Re: Miserable news from Jack Lilley regarding flat batteries and new headlights ....

I haven't checked out the legislation, but I'm assuming that they changed it
so that on new bikes only one headlight out of a pair is ever allowed to be
on at any time, since there's no way of getting them to work in tandem using
the switches.
The theory was that ditzy blond motorists would then not be able to confuse
the sight of your bike headlights in his/her rear-view mirror with those of
a car much further away, I believe. Incredible as it may sound.
My problem with the logic is that it leaves us more vulnerable, because for
the most part you only have the left-hand headlight on (dipped beam) while
driving. This has a tendency to splay out to the left and onto the pavement
rather than illuminate anything much near the centre of the road - in other
words, it acts exactly as one half of a pair, not as a freestanding, centred
headlight. As a result, anyone coming towards you from straight on or
especially your right-hand side (UK, that is) may not get a decent eyeful of
headlight or even realize it's a bike. I haven't had a chance to really
study it, as I won't let anyone else drive my bike!
I thought the legislation was introduced some time late last year.

Tim