RE: Miserable news from Jack Lilley regarding flat batteries and new headlights ....

At 09:55 09/02/00 -0800, you wrote:

>> For the time being, then, it seems that the only
>> solution is to rewire the
>> headlights so that they come on individually, not in tandem.
>
>My US-spec Sprint has both lights on all the time and has yet to
>have a battery related problem in 24,000 miles of use. If Triumph
>is able to ship bikes with dual lights here that don't drain the
>battery, I fail to understand why they are having so much trouble
>rigging it up there. Does electricity work differently in the
>U.K., or do they have another reason for not wanting to wire it up
>'right'?

The reason for the battery discharging seems to be caused by one
of the wires in the system being live all the time. So that when
the relays are put in, they are live and so cause a discharge.
We are trying some different relays at the moment, which seem to
be OK, that's to say when checked there is no sign of discharging.
However it maybe possible to alter the wiring to use the standard
ST relays, which is why we want to take sometime checking it all out.
So the good old EU strike again, I really do not see any logic about
this legislation at all. So if a bike looks like a car from half
a mile away, where is the problem, at least it may save another
driver overtaking a slow car and avoid a head on collision.
Still when did logic and legislation ever go in hand? You now
be fined 5,000ukp for selling a pound of apples, yet you can go to
a French market and buy a Livre (pound) in safety.
Ok soapbox mode off.

Steve.