hard to start

< on  Sun, 13 Feb 2000 18:27:56 +0100
<"Ludo Andries" <LudoAndries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>writes...
 <I was curious how he would start after a
<long no drive period.
<I pushed him out, turned the ignition key, waited until the squeaking
<sound
<of the FI stopped
<and pushed the start button. The starter engine turned and turned <and
turned
<and ...
<NOTHING. He would not start. I had to try for half an hour (at least <fifty
<start cycles) before I
<could hear that the engine was anxious to turn on. (I was lucky my <battery
<was in good condition)
<At last he revved up and immediately went dead again. (I never <touched the
<gas handle)
<After some more tries I could keep him on.
<I rode for about three hours with no problems at all.
<After a fuel stop he started normally.
<What could be the reason of this bad start behavior? My previous <bike
(Kawa
<750 Zephyr always
<had some difficulty starting after the winter stop but never like my ST
<today.
<Has anyone on the list had similar starting problems after a longer <no
<riding period?

If you had gas sitting in your tank for four months it could have gone
stale.  Gasoline loses its volatile fractions when it sits and can cause
what is know around these parts as the "green crud" disease because it will
turn gummy and clog up carb needles/jets and fuel injectors.

It is good to use a fuel stabilizer that is mixed in with your gas if you
leave it sit for more than 60 days.

Charlie