One year anaversarie

Well it's been some time since I have posted to the site so please excuse
the length. I read the digest everyday. I live and work in San Antonio Texas
and am currently restoring a 1975 850 Norton Commando MK III, ride a 96
Triumph T-Bird and our wonderful 99 St. that I purchased last March 19th
currently @15,200 miles on the clock.  I am one of the fortunate ones to
have the  black model. I have the 2 hard bags ( and love em never take em
off ) , the Triumph Tank bag (mounted with the rain cover forward), throttle
mister, the rear hugger, and the front mud guard extension (installed with
Loctite Black max glue, I have used this adhesive in aircraft applications
and it has worked great  so far 10,000 + miles since installation) no rivits
very clean installation. I also run the performance pipe and Thanks to
Robert in Dallas also run the Triumph Tall screen. Now I have to tell a side
story here,  we all know the caliber of  folks we have on this exceptional
site (THANKS ERIC!!!). But I have to tell you I contacted Robert off site
about his Tall screen , he sent it to me on faith said try it  if you like
it pay me later if not send it back. Its refreshing to come across that kind
of trust and camaraderie these days, thanks again Robert. My bike has been
virtually trouble free, the fuel gage was  like everyone else's , I have had
the sender replaced early on and it works most of the time but I rely on the
trip meter and I am just waiting this one out like the rest of you. I still
have the original battery and have let it sit for 6 weeks to 3 months at a
time (with out a tender on) while on assignment in China  more than once and
it always starts right up first time ( just lucky I guess). I garage all my
bikes and  no alarm for those of you who are going to ask. I use the Triumph
oil, changed at 6 k miles , but I do notice that when getting towards the
end of a oil change cycle that more missed shifts are experienced but go
away after the oil change, coincidence hmmm maybe. I went with the D205s at
the tire change love em. The rear Bridgestone (didn't hate em but glad I
changed) was down to cord at 8 k miles.  Runs I have made on this great
bike: two  to Big Bend getting ready for another soon, a 9 day 3,000 mile
Texas , New Mexico, and  Colorado run. Completed a  Saddle Sore 1000 Dec 28
99. And since I live in one of the best year round  biking areas in the
world (80*F  Feb 14th),  ride one of the bikes to work at least 3 times a
week and  spend most of my Sundays(200 to 250 miles average day) enjoying
the Texas hill country. At the 12k check I had the valves done and only 3
were slightly out ,( see chart below ). At 14,500 miles I had a new DID
chain installed and use Silkolene chain lube, and  now at 15 K my shift
shaft seal (say that 3 times after a couple of cold Schlitz Beers) has been
replaced on warranty due to marking its territory on my garage floor.  I am
6'2" tall @ 270 lbs, I set the suspension setting to the rider and passenger
setting from the owners manual and that seems to work pretty well for me.
Yes my knees hit the faring when I am hugging the tank but one adapts its no
big deal to me.  I tend to move around a lot on the seat, which brings us to
the stock seat. Not bad for the first 6 or 8 hours,  after that it starts to
get to the inside of my thighs ( I know more info than you wanted right).
And yes the seat gets warm especially during  the summer months but who
cares everything else about this bike  makes up for it right! Well I guess I
have gone on long enough but since I have had this great ride for almost a
year now I wanted to put my .02 cents in  well I guess its really a $1.50.
It's a great bike and a great site!!  Hang in there Robert and the rest of
you with radiator and mech. problems, your paying your dues and it will all
smooth out soon , I hope to ride with and meet several of  y'all at the RAT
Rally in Fredericksburg Texas in May.

Ride Safe

Perry
Valves at 12,000 Miles
Tolerance          Cylinder  #   1        #   2         # 3    Bold numbers
are the ones changed.
Intake .10-.15                .13 .13    .15 .16    .12  .13
Exhaust .15-.20              .17 .17    .17 .17    .17  .21