Fuel Gauge Problem

  My fuel gauge has been acting strangely of late. For the past two months,
when I fill the tank, the indicator will slowly go to "1"(full) and stay
there. After 100 or so miles, I notice the needle has gone to "1/2". At 200
miles, the needle is approaching the empty line, and the yellow dash light
will illuminate. At this point, I refill the tank, and the yellow light
actually goes out and will not come back on until the tank again is close to
empty.I find this behavior strange and disorienting. I've even been forced
to remove the black tape covering the yellow warning light.
  Am I the only one to experience this glitch?

Duner Tor
Bozeman MT