Re: Size of Torx socket for oil drain plug

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000, Pete Berg wrote:

> Resurrecting an old thread . . .   I will soon be riding my ST home from the
> dealer.  Was in for collision repairs and the infamous fuel guage fix.  When
> I get home, while the oil is nice and hot, I want to change the oil.  What
> size Torx tool should I use?  (Eric, this might be useful info to add to the
> FAQs Maintenance / Oil & Filter area.)

One of the things that I was warned about is changing the oil when the
engine is very hot. The theory went that with th cold air flow and fresh
cool oil you can do damage to the warm/hot alumimun parts.

Of course conventional wisdom would say that if the oil is warm it will
flow out easier.

Of cours the mecahnic that told me to only do oil changes with
the engine slightly warm or cool was later released from
his duties at that particular shop.

What do the other experts say to that advice?

Thomas

Thomas Emberson  <Thomas@xxxxxxx>
QNX Software Systems Inc.
15301 Spectrum Drive, Suite 406, Addison TX, 75001
(972) 851-6945 (voice)  (972) 851-6944 (fax)