Re: Reliablity Question Again

Thanks Rick.

Good, precise, and candid information that is very compelling to my
purchase. I have to admit that even though my wife's ST4 went pop, the
almost 18,000 total miles on the bike have been perfect and I found riding
it superb. But after hearing about three 20K stories, I'm real close to the
Triumph move. Of course there is not fuel gauge nor side pannier for the RS
(Top Case only) so any complaints in that department are prevented due to
design simplicity. My only remaining uncommented-upon issue relates to
wiring. There have been comments around in the archives and a recent
response regarding wires coming undone (heated grips, etc.). Any issues with
wires unhooking or shorting out mysteriously.

>That would be because we are all out riding our motorcycles, of
>course. I have about 26,000 miles on my '99 Sprint (I've had it
>since the beginning of last May - about nine months now) and have
>had the following special problems:
>My only 'complaint' about the bike relates to the pannier kit - I
>am noticing that point where the front of the bag's lip meets the
>end of the grove in the rail is wearing away and allowing the bags
>to move around a bit - which is accelerating the wear (naturally)
>and leading to a pannier that will come unlatched. The dealer
>offered to replace them under warrantee as well, but I think I'll
>add some rubber squares and wait for a re-designed part.

Have Triumph indicated that a new part is on the drawing board ?

>I have checked the valves (or had them checked) at 6,000 miles,
>12,000 miles and 24,000 miles - it needed two exhaust shims at
>6,000 and one intake shim at 24,000. The shims that came out were
>dimensionally unchanged (that is, they were still the same size
>they were marked as being) and had all gone tight, not loose.

Thank again. Serious issues at 26K are conspicuous by their absence in you
comments!

Greg Girard