Re: Speedo error

At 10:54 AM 02/23/2000 -0600, Sullivan, Perry wrote:
 >I'll second or 3rd that , 45 indicated is approx. 38 actual on my bike.  I
 >run on the low side of the 80 mph line(just touching) for an actual of  70
 >mph. This was  verified by my buddies GPS running right next to me .On the
 >average I would say that all of the new bikes have anywhere from +6 to +10
 >mph error at 70 mph actual , the lower the speed the closer it gets . The
 >weird thing is the odometer and trip meter seems to be fairly close . When I
 >did my SS 1000 my bike odometer read 1040 miles, map blast figured 1034 and
 >the IBA gave me 1030 . So the indicated mileage is closer to actual mileage
 >, than the speed is .  The strange thing is my T - Bird Speedo is right on??

It's pretty unusual that you T-Bird is accurate. Every Triumph I have owned
has been optimistic - usually in the +5% to +10% range. That is why I (and
many others) have added a Sigma speedo or something similar.

The speedo pickup is very accurate (as evidenced by your odometer reading)
but the spring and needle assembly has a degree of error associated with
it. Depending on how much is paid for the part will determine the accuracy
of the indicated speed. As jim said, they are allowed to indicate an
overage (up to 10%) but not ever a speed under that which is the actual speed.

- - Eric