Re: taxes

Gregory D. Girard wrote:

> Something about a family of ten sharing a compact car seating 4 seems
> like poverty to me.

My definition of poverty does not include car ownership. Try a family of
ten sharing a meal that "serves 4." I have friends that are living quite
comfortably without owning a car.

> In certain US states, there are no sales taxes, no income taxes,
> nor any other taxes outside property taxes.

Name one. New Hampshire has no sales or income tax however they whack
you on property taxes and "sin taxes" (taxes on alcohol and tobacco,
this coupled with a state lottery). Up until the early 90's Connecticut
had a sales tax and no income tax. However, property taxes are also paid
on motor vehicles and numerous other non-real properties. CT also has
some of the highest taxes in the nation on gasoline, tobacco, and movie
tickets. In the mid 80's CT started to compounded the taxes on
cigarettes; sale tax was calculated after federal and state tobacco
taxes were added in (the infamous tax on a tax).

BTW, I do not smoke. I just have a problem with anyone being unfairly
taxed.

- --
Steve Lawler
A Boston (Tea Party) Red Sox fan living in Yankee country

2000 Sprint ST (Blue, of course)
1980 Honda CM400T "My Little Red Putt-Putt"

I.A.T.S.E. Locals #52 & 84

"Life is far too important to be taken seriously." Oscar Wilde